The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

A Passion for Wrestling

When it comes to sports, Giselle Almendariz prefers the challenge of wrestling.

Francine Torres, Sports Editor

Giselle Almendariz, a Magnet senior, has been on the Volleyball and Wrestling teams at Bell High School for four years, which has made her high school experience productive, busy, and bearable.

Almendariz was, as she states, “naturally inclined” to join Volleyball since she had been on the team in middle school. On the court, she has fun and is competitive.

“I get excited to play and I enjoy every second I’m on the court,” says Almendariz.

Wrestling, on the other hand, caught her attention and became her passion. Almendariz feels that wrestling is different from volleyball. She feels a different type of rush of adrenaline that takes over her body. Since wrestling is an individual sport, she feels fearless. Giselle grew passionate for wrestling throughout the years.I hadn’t ever skimmed before,” Almendariz states.

“Wrestling required more heart, which is why I’m very passionate about it. I pushed myself way past my limits, to limits

Although her parents were nonchalant towards her sport choices, her brother was a great support system.  These teams have also been there when she experienced a tough family situation. She knew both teams were family.

Through her four years in both volleyball and wrestling, she formed unbreakable bonds with her team mates and coaches that she will forever remember. This has made her high school experience worth it. She kept her grades up and will now further her education at UCLA.  

23 Comments

23 Responses to “A Passion for Wrestling”

1. Juan Jose Hernandez on June 21st, 2017 4:30 pm

In my opinion joining a sport also helps you keep your grades up and help you make friends and people that you could trust I might not know how it feels joining a sport at bell but I could say it’s fun and helps you keep being motivated and keep trying and never give up on your self.
    Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A Grade:12
    Mr.janssen

[Reply]

2. Esau Ordaz 12A on June 22nd, 2017 12:11 pm

As a student athlete, this was very inspiring. It is hard to keep balance between both school and a sport and the fact that she was able to do that and not only graduate to go to college, but UCLA, is a great example of dedication and passion. Best of luck to her.

[Reply]

3. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 3:59 pm

Being a student athlete can be difficult at times, but the love that each student feels for there sport is grand. With being a student athlete, the word student comes first meaning you’re a student before athlete. Keeping a 2.0 gpa or higher is essential for being in a sport in high school. Having extra curricular activities helps stand out more in college application. Not to mention the possibility of being scouted by a college or university. I personally know Giselle and I wish her the very best, and hope shes very successful.

Bianca Solano
    Track M, Grade 12
    detention hours

[Reply]

4. Anthony Fregoso (12/B) on June 22nd, 2017 8:37 pm

A student athlete has to balance both school and sports at the same time. Not only is it time consuming it also difficult to maintain. You will be both physically and mentally tired due to the responsibilities you will have. As for Giselle she makes it seem easy and has no trouble in the classroom or on the court/mat. She will also be looked at by more colleges as she is doing more in high school making herself standout. It looks like Giselle has a very bright future ahead of her.

Detention Hours

[Reply]

5. Carmen Mendoza on June 22nd, 2017 9:14 pm

Being a student athlete can get tough at times but if is something you enjoy doing then there will be no problem. I personally never joined a sport at Bell but it seems like so much fun. Where you each day get better, learn something new, and create great memories with great people. It also benefits you in many ways such as good average grades and high chances to moving further to higher education in the future.

Grade 12 Track C . Detention hours

[Reply]

6. karen terrazas on June 22nd, 2017 10:20 pm

Coming to know how some people, like gisselle almendariz, are so passionate of what they do is very inspiring. Not only because of what they do, but the effort and sacrifice they put in, because its not only their sport they have to worry about but their academics as well. This in fact, gives a good perspective about her, how she manages to do multiple things at once, being part of two teams, is very time consuming and well very beneficial for her and her future at UCLA. its very inspiring to see people like her be part of multiple sport teams and still being able to graduate high school and still continuing with her life at UCLA, my best wishes to her.

Karen Terrazas Melo
    Track M, Grade 12
    Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

7. Nancy Robles on June 22nd, 2017 10:56 pm

In my opinion joining a sport helps build characteristic upon the person. It helps one be more outgoing and more open minded. This was inspiring because being a student athlete is difficult juggling with school work and practices.
    Nancy Robles
    12/A
    Mr.Jansen

[Reply]

8. Emilio Sandoval, track: B grd: 12 on June 22nd, 2017 11:23 pm

Being in sports really helps a person focus on their goals. Her being is these two sports might of been really busy but it shows how this situation made her a responsible person, and was able to maintain good grades in magnet and play both her favored sports . Congratulations by the way hopefully you do great in the sports you look forward to continue and in school.

[Reply]

9. Jeselle Brijlall on June 23rd, 2017 12:16 am

As a student athlete myself I know it feels to manage school, practices, and my outside life. I used to play softball and volleyball, but realized that at the end of the day my studies should be my priority and then the game. The game doesn’t pass your classes for you. Playing sports in high school benefits you as well in college. As well as being involved in school activities it gives you the opportunity to socialize and interact with one another. Not only building a bond as a team but creating a new family.

Jeselle Brijlall
    Track: A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen
    detention hours

[Reply]

10. Jesus Valles on June 23rd, 2017 7:29 am

In my opinion sports can be a solution to a problem, for example when your feeling down, sports can play a big role because when your on the court shooting, you forget about everything and just isolate yourself from your problems, and she used that she truly is the goat.
    Track B , Grade 12
    For Hours

[Reply]

11. Madeline Flores on June 23rd, 2017 8:15 am

It can be very hard to be a student and an athlete. You need to learn how to manage your time to get your home work done and also be able to go to practices and spend your time there. Also helps you find your passion in a sport which is really exciting! It’s awesome to see students in high school to do what they most like and be able to move on to go to university..I wish her the best of luck at Ucla !!!!
    Madeline Flores
    Track C
    Grade 12
    Detention hours

[Reply]

12. Carlos Cardenas on June 23rd, 2017 8:42 am

It’s amazing how much joining a sport can impact your live in high school. Some might thing it’s a big deal but it becomes part of your life, it helps you out. It pushes you to do things you might think you could never do. You make new friends. It’s something away from school and the outside world, so when you are playing a sport that’s the only thing in your mind, your free from the problems life hits you with.

Carlos Cardenas 12/A
    For Hours/ Mr. Jassen

[Reply]

13. Mariam Torres on June 23rd, 2017 8:56 am

I’ve never been the type to join a sport but reading about the great passion Giselle has for both her sports is incredible. She is a hardworking student who still finds the time to do the things she loves. I am glad to know Giselle personally and I wish her the best of luck at UCLA!

Mariam Torres
    Track M, Grade 12
    Mr. Janssen
    Detention hours

[Reply]

14. Alisson Hernandez on June 23rd, 2017 9:00 am

Woot Woot! Girl Power! I’ve had the opportunity to get to know Ms.Almendariz on a personal level and I can ultimately say that her passion and dedication for Volleyball and Wrestling is profoundly deep. It’s inspiring to see how determined and passionate Giselle is towards these sports because it proves that anything is possible! Being able to stack a vast amount of AP classes and on top of that, join two sports is tough but it ultimately further proves the challenges that Almendariz is willing to take. Her dedication really amazes me, there was a time in which I assumed wrestling season was approaching, she was so determined to improve her condition that she asked our homeroom teacher if she could go out to the field to run for a while. I was amazed at how much time she constantly put into training and I can ultimately say that her passion for wrestling is immense. GO BRUINS!!!

Alisson Hernandez
    Track M, Grade 12
    Detention Hours
    Mr.Jansen

[Reply]

15. Colibri Rodriguez Track B, Grade 12 Detention hours on June 23rd, 2017 10:19 am

Joining a sport is the best way to keep yourself busy & healthy at the same time. Being part of a team can be an amazing experience & you make friends for life. I personally regret not joining any sport during my 4 years of high school but for those that do enjoy every second of it as time goes by & soon you will be part of the adult world. Make the best out of stayin in bell & join the sports that you enjoy. Being in sports at bell is a privilege not a right & for those that are in any sport it motivates & pushes them to do better.

[Reply]

16. Jerry Monroy on June 23rd, 2017 10:28 am

This is the true meaning of Effort and Dedication! Her going out of her way to break her personal boundaries and try new sports is a heck of a thing . Not anyone can do that, I applaud her and encourage anyone reading this to get out there and stop trying new things .
    Jerry Monroy
    Track : B
    For Hours

[Reply]

17. Julian Rocha on June 23rd, 2017 10:38 am

Being in sports all four years can make you really busy that makes you put other things out the way. Being a student athlete is difficult but also a great way to keep motivation for school and maintaining a future for yourself. Many people struggle to keep their grades up and still be good at sports and fortunately for Giselle, she was able to do both and thats a big accomplishment, especially going to a top notch university. I wish her the best of luck going to college & I’m proud of how far she has come.

Julian Rocha
    Track B, Grade 12
    Detention Hours
    Mr. Jansen

[Reply]

18. Enzo Vasquez on June 23rd, 2017 10:41 am

I feel like Almendariz is really motivated to strive into better things. Even with family problems she was still motivated to play her favorite sports. even when her parents didn’t approve of her not joining wrestling, she still joined because she found it very Passionate. that’s what is so interesting about her. she is very inspirational, and congratulations on getting accepted to UCLA.

12/C
    Detention hours
    Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

19. sheilee Vega 12C Mr.Jansen for hours on June 23rd, 2017 10:46 am

Congrats Gisselle on finding yourself a passion. Sports can be very competitive but its a good thing to stay focused in school and busy having a hobby instead of slacking off and joining bad choices. This is very inspirational and hope one day I can learn volleyball or wrestling or even finding a passion for some type of sport . Throughout my high school experience i wish i could’ve joined a sport in the long run it couldve helped for my college applications .

[Reply]

20. Erick Vazquez on June 23rd, 2017 11:00 am

I want to congratulate Giselle Almendariz not only for being able to further her education at UCLA but being able to play two sports and still manage to be successful in school. I may not know what it feels like to be a student athlete but what i do know is that as long as you put your mind and heart to it, you will accomplish anything and alway remember that there are going to be times where people may not support or agree on you joining a sport but that shouldn’t mean you should stop doing what you enjoy doing just because of someone else opinion. Giselle was brave enough to continue doing what she loves doing which is being able to be in the volleyball and wrestling team for 4 years and still be successful in school.

Erick Vazquez
    Track B, Grade 12
    Detention hours

[Reply]

21. Colibri Rodriguez on June 23rd, 2017 11:02 am

Colibri Rodriguez
    Grade 12, Track B
    Mr. Janssen
    Detention hours

[Reply]

22. Kevin Torres M on June 23rd, 2017 11:28 am

Speaking from experience I was in wrestling for 3 years the 3rd year I was also joined shotput so juggling two sports is very difficult but also very rewarding because you meet people compete in places and have fun with friends its like a big family while you are wrestling its nothing but focus and commitment and that is how people fall in love with the sport and why people tend to stay passionate in wrestling

[Reply]

23. Evelyn Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:30 am

As a regular student in Bell , I regret so much no being that involved in my school. Especially joining in a sport. I give so much credit and respect to the athletes here in bell. They go through so much and yet still keep up with their grades and classes. They loose lack of sleep, freedom, and rest. If I can go back I would and do it all over again to have fun and make more memorable memories with a team. I regret not getting out of my comfort zone and not joining a sport. It is very nice to see students having so much love for the game and having a lot of school spirit.

Evelyn Gonzalez 12A
    For hours

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

Ending with a Win

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

AP: Always Pressured

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

Trash or Cash

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

Sports Dilemma

• A Passion for Wrestling

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• A Passion for Wrestling

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• A Passion for Wrestling

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

• A Passion for Wrestling

News

Academic Decathlon Shines

A Passion for Wrestling