The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

Transgender Mistreatment Protested at Bell Hometown Buffet

Bruno Wilggins

Local Bell resident, Vanessa Cardenas stopped by the local Hometown Buffet when she noticed management attempting to remove a transgender person from the restaurant – going as far as calling the police on them Hometown Buffet already has a bad rating for it’s reputation for cleanliness and management on Yelp.com, and this outrageous incident gives customers more reason to take their money elsewhere.

Photo by Bruno Wilggins

The least Hometown Buffet could do is give an open, formal apology admitting what they did was wrong. If that does not happen, students should condone this kind of treatment in their communities by taking their money elsewhere and ultimately advocating for equal rights in their communities through peaceful protests.

“The manager with the short hair told him he had to leave because ‘of his appearance’ and ‘because he stinks’,” Cardenas wrote in the viral Facebook post, which includes a video of the whole ordeal unfolding.Bruno Wilggins

“In the end, the police didn’t kick him out and they handled it so great, so he stood quietly and ate his food,” she wrote.

When contacted, a Hometown Buffet employee refused to comment.

Various people have posted screenshots of their private messages with the company, giving their reason for booting the man from the premises. These reasons were contradicted when Hometown Buffet posted on their Facebook page with a new reason altogether, ultimately stating that the man was grabbing food with his bare hands.

The company failed to explain why the food was not removed because of contamination.

A protest was organized by Cardenas herself on Sunday April 2nd, drawing a small crowd of approximately 15 people, including Emma Galvan, a special education teacher at Bell High School, and her daughter Suhani, a sophomore here at Bell. “If they found something wrong with him in the beginning, they shouldn’t have taken his money,” Suhani said.

“This kind of treatment against human beings is not okay. Everyone deserves to have equal rights,” added Galvan.

The Bell Police Department collaborated fairly with both Cardenas and Hometown Buffet to protect protesters, employees, and guests.

“This is a very great representation of civil liberties,” James Corcoran, Bell PD officer, said.

Photo by Bruno Wilggins

Although the group of protestors was not very large, their efforts still were noticed.   Approximately 12 families walked away from the restaurant after hearing about the incident from the protestors. Students at Bell should follow their lead if they want to see some change.

Protesters encouraged families to take their money to the newest Golden Corral in Downey, saying it is a “cleaner, higher quality, and more family-friendly” environment.
Galvan stated that she would ensure the man, remaining unidentified, would be helped legally for his case.

“They [Hometown Buffet] will be facing a lawsuit. Any lawyer will take this case pro bono.” Galvan said.

Although some may not see this incident as a good enough reason to stop eating here, when they do, they should take into consideration the fact that they are supporting a discriminatory company who is attempting to cover up the incident.

Photo by Bruno Wilggins

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Transgender Mistreatment Protested at Bell Hometown Buffet”

1. Juan Jose hernandez on June 22nd, 2017 9:53 am

What students should do is they should protest and get on their nerves so Hometown Buffet could get annnoyed and give a very good apology to the transgender teen so the teen could feel better and Hometown and other places don’t have the right to criticize other people.
    Track:A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen

[Reply]

2. Bruno Wilggins on June 22nd, 2017 10:25 am

I was at the protest with the writer of this article, Andrea Corona, taking pictures and observing this friendly protest. It was a hot day but the protesters stayed strong, there were even protesters in front of hometown by the sidewalk with no shade at all. I heard a lot of positive opinions on transgender people and how they were furious with the manager that was discriminating against the poor victim. Vanessa Cardenas was the woman that recorded the whole incident, she was the one that scheduled the protest, Vanessa and other protesters ended up convincing several customers of hometown buffet to turn around at the door.

For Hours

[Reply]

3. Yasmin Lopez(12/29/98) on June 22nd, 2017 10:38 am

I think this is really unfair. We are human and we all should be treated equally regardless of our gender. Transgender people just like everyone else are human and they have a right to go out in public the way they want and they should not be judged based on their appearance. It’s really sad to see this kind of treatment. If they were doing something inappropriate then they can politely ask them to stop. It’s really sad to see that it had to come to these circumstances. If at the beginning they felt something was odd about them they should have just politely asked them to leave. I just feel like no one should be treated this way just because of their gender or even race. Were in the year 2017, it’s time to put an end to gender discrimination.

[Reply]

4. Esau Ordaz on June 22nd, 2017 1:24 pm

Protests for a good cause are always proactive. Mistreatment toward anyone should not be allowed. Raise awareness.

Esau Ordaz
    Grade:12
    Track:A
    For Hours

[Reply]

5. viviana quezada on June 22nd, 2017 1:37 pm

It is so sad to hear these kind of things in your own city, being kicked out of a place because of your “appearance” demonstrates how cruel people can be. Hate isn’t going to get us anywhere.
    Viviana Quezada Magnet
    For hours

[Reply]

6. Jeselle Brijlall on June 22nd, 2017 9:13 pm

This is heart breaking. We live in a “modernized society” where people have fought to get the same treatment as others. Unfortunately people choose to disrespect one another. We are all human and we should all treat EACH OTHER equally. Everyone is free to express themselves the way they want to in which they shouldn’t be judged. Gestures and comments are unnecessary , so if you have something bad to say please stay quiet.

Jeselle Brijlall
    Track: A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen
    detention hours

[Reply]

7. Nicole J. Flores on June 22nd, 2017 11:20 pm

It’s hard to believe that even in 2017 we continue to live in a world filled with hate. No person regardless of their gender, sexuality, skin color etc. should be publicly not privately humiliated because of who they are. It was a great idea to peacefully protest so that the public knows that it is not okay to discriminate and that they will not tolerate it.
    Nicole J. Flores
    12 Magnet
    Detention hours

[Reply]

8. Roberto Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 12:12 am

This is completely unfair and made me completely change my view on Hometown Buffet. We should never be mistreated or excluded from anywhere regardless of how we look. We’re all human it’s 2017 and discrimination is still taking its toll in the world. We’re all equal I do not plan on going back to Hometown Buffet anymore. The fact that they have not even voiced an apology to the public says a lot and it’s times like these that we need to come together and make a difference.

Roberto Gonzalez
    Grade/Track: 12B
    For hours
    Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

9. bianca solano on June 23rd, 2017 8:59 am

It’s such an embarrassment for the company to do such a harsh thing. The restaurant itself isn’t a clean. People are being discriminated just for being different. Franchises such as this one should be encouraging support for minorities, not condoning them. Protests can be very effective to make our voices and support heard.

Bianca Solano(12/M)
    detention hours

[Reply]

10. sheilee Vega 12C Mr.Jansen for hours on June 23rd, 2017 10:34 am

Discrimination is not the way to live . Everyone has an idea of how we should all look like and be . But does anyone have the idea what makes them happy . Protesting is literally the only way for people to understand appearance discrimination can be very hurtful it can change lives from low self-esteem and physically.

[Reply]

11. Cassandra Mendez on June 23rd, 2017 10:45 am

I think HomeTown Buffect should have issued an apology and certainly shouldn’t have tried to treat their customers the way they did. I also think it’s amazing that the community could get together like this to support the man who was mistreated.
    Cassandra Mendez
    12B
    For hours

[Reply]

12. Lizette Urias on June 23rd, 2017 11:15 am

I don’t think it should matter whether you’re female,male, or even transgender. I don’t think it was fair what they did to that person. It’s nice to see people stand up for other people. The people of hometown buffet should make a really good apology to the person they discriminated.

Lizette Urias
    12B
    Clear detention hours

[Reply]

13. Jorge Carranza 12/A For Hours on June 23rd, 2017 11:37 am

In my opinion think this is unfair, we are all human beings, we all should be respected and treated equally regardless of our apperance, gender, and race.. It’s really sad to see this kind of treatment. If they were doing something inappropriate then they can politely ask them to stop. It’s really sad to see that it had to come to these circumstances. If at the beginning they felt something was odd about them they should have just politely asked them to leave. I just feel like no one should be treated this way just because of their gender or even race. This is the year 2017, it’s time to put an end to discrimination. Jorge Carranza 12/A For Hours

[Reply]

14. Evelyn gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:55 am

It is unfair to mistreat people for being themselves. Everyone should be able to go out and have a good time without worrying about being judged. Regardless of who anyone is as long as they are minding their own business no one should put down so something must be done to make a change.
    Evelyn Gonzalez (12/A)
    For hours

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Transgender Mistreatment Protested at Bell Hometown Buffet

News

Ending with a Win

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

News

AP: Always Pressured

News

Trash or Cash

News

Sports Dilemma

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family