The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

The first and only Magnet Picnic took place in Griffith Park at the end of the 2014-2015 school year. During the Magnet Picnic, the students had a chance to be with friends and teachers, play games, and have a good time while relieving stress. This year’s Magnet students might believe it is a good idea to have a Magnet Picnic for the 2016-2017 school year. After all, it is a fun way to celebrate the end of the school year, and have the students reflect on the good memories and experiences.

But, after calculating the cost for this year’s trip these students may change their mind: the picnics are expensive. There are approximately 646 students, 23 teachers, and 1 counselor in the Magnet Program for the 2016-2017 school year.

A bus holds 50 people, so the Magnet will need 13 to 14 buses at $550 a piece, with the additional cost of the El Dorado Park location, $1,100. The total cost to have this year’s Magnet Picnic would be around $9,000.

The Magnet Program can find a more convenient and affordable way to have fun at the end of the school year.

“I find it challenging to spend the money on a six hour trip, where I could buy AP review books. We could have used it for something more useful and [we] might not even have this money next year,” said Mario Apodaca, the Magnet Coordinator.

People behind the Magnet Picnic decision have not discussed the field trip much yet.  Some options for an alternative end of the year trip could include going to a closer and cheaper location, saving the rest of the funds for books, or even using the money to pay for AP tests for the 2017-2018 school year, since these each will cost $90 each instead of $5.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?”

1. Karla Acevedo on June 22nd, 2017 12:04 am

I was not aware that the Magnet Picnic cost as much as $9,000. Those $9,000 could be used for so many other things that can benefit Bell High School for years, rather than wasting it all on one day. The school should definitely utilize that money in a way it can benefit the school.
    Karla Acevedo
    Track: Magnet
    For detention hours

[Reply]

2. Carmen Mendoza on June 22nd, 2017 10:00 pm

Wow! the cost for the magnet picnic sure is a little pricey. I personally think reuniting with friends and teachers having a good time sure seems like fun, but in the other hand its better to use the money wisely on books for the Ap tests especially now that they went up on price or other school supplies that will for sure be used without the years . Having money for school events, supplies always helps more . There can always be another affordable and even more funner place to go to and end the school year or simply just enjoy the day.

Grade 12 Track C detention hours

[Reply]

3. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 10:09 pm

So much money is required for a field trip? Definitely not worth the money since we’re a school that runs on a budget. The money should go to more necessary things like ap review books.

Bianca Solano (12/M)
    detention hours

[Reply]

4. Mariam Torres on June 23rd, 2017 9:10 am

I was very upset at the fact that the picnic wasn’t happening this year because last year it was one of the highlights of that year. Now that I am aware of the cost I understand why the choice was made. The money can definitely be put to better use because after all we are magnet and have to prioritize academics first. However, maybe a low cost trip wouldn’t of been so bad to relieve the stress of the rigorous courses.

Mariam Torres
    Track M, Grade 12
    Mr. Janssen
    Detention hours

[Reply]

5. paola manjarrez on June 23rd, 2017 11:22 am

honestly if there going have picnics let if be for all tracks not just magnet i know that the smart kids and should be rewarded but i mean all tracks all students try there best and are hard working. If they where to do a picnic they can always charge a feed like they do for the farewell dance and all the other activities so it wont be so expensive. It will be nice to have one an d gather with all teachers and friends. 🙂

Paola manjarrez
    12A
    Mr. Jansen

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

News

Ending with a Win

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

News

Trash or Cash

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

News

Sports Dilemma

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

Is the Magnet Picnic Really Worth It?