The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

Ending with a Win

Mr. Villalvazo retires and will be missed by many.

Jacob Otero, News Editor

Mr. Villalvazo won the City of Bell Teacher Award. A ceremony was held May 2nd, a day after Villalvazo had been notified about his accomplishment.

Principal Mr. Balderas and Assistant Principal Ms. Torres-Ring attended the ceremony with Mr. Villalvazo at the Bell Community Center.

Mr. Villalvazo did not know he was nominated by the students for this award, and the administration approved the nomination. He was notified May 1st by City of Bell Council Member Nestor Enriquez. “I felt honored and humbled.  I didn’t know,” said Mr. Villalvazo. Only one teacher is nominated in every middle and high school in Bell for this award every year.

“I was very happy to see him win that award. I thought it was great,” Librarian Ms. Salanoa said.

This will be Mr. Villalvazo’s final year teaching at Bell High School. He has taught for 32 and a half years at Bell, starting in 1985. “I’m teaching to help students to be the best they can be,” Mr. Villalvazo said.

“I’ve known Vinny for 30 years, and I know from talking to students for 30 years that they really enjoy his class,” Physical Education Teacher Ms. Pickard said. “I’m going to miss Mr. Villalvazo.”

15 Comments

15 Responses to “Ending with a Win”

1. Enrique cazares on June 23rd, 2017 9:46 pm

I’m happy that Mr.villalvazo got that award because he’s a really good teacher and one of the best teachers I’ve had. I like how he teaches all his students and shows us how to write better essays. Because of him I got better at writing and at English. Before I didn’t like English class till I had him for my teacher.

Enrique Cazares
    12/A
    Mr. Jansen

[Reply]

2. Ana Herrera on June 24th, 2017 10:33 am

It is very unfortunate to see him go, this man is a very good teacher, a great person, very nice and caring. I was only in his class for a semester and I really enjoyed my time there. He wasn’t one of those strict serious teachers, he got along with us and made us want to be in his class. Farewell Mr. V!

[Reply]

Ana Herrera Reply:

Detention hours

[Reply]

3. Anthony fregoso on June 24th, 2017 8:45 pm

It is great to see one of our own win the City of Bell teacher award that he most certainly deserves. The article states that most kids enjoyed his class and by him not knowing he was notified shows that many students he has taught can say his class is very enjoyable. Mr. Villalvazo likes to teach so kids can be the best they possible can and that would bring him joy by him being able to teach them they have great abilities to show. Many people liked him as a teacher and a co worker he will be missed as he retires at the end of the 2016-2017 school year and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Detention Hours
    Track 12/B

[Reply]

4. Joscelyn Diaz on June 25th, 2017 8:30 pm

Some teachers make a big impact on students because they make a connection with them from a student to teacher relationship. Personally I had a great teacher in middle school my last year 8th grade , he taught math and science. He was one of the best teachers I have had. I felt like he knew how to get through with students and I learned really well, it was sad to hear that he was leaving as well as Mr. Villalvazo. When the whole class of 8th grade heard this we were sad to see him leave, but we decided to make him a surprise party to celebrate what a great teacher he was. I believe that teachers who can get through students by teaching them right from wrong are the best teachers there can be. furthermore congrats to Mr. Villalvazo for getting a recognition award i wish every good teacher got one.

Joscelyn Diaz
    Track: C
    Grade: 12
    FOR HOURS

[Reply]

5. Frank Serpas on June 26th, 2017 11:01 am

I was a student for Mr. Villalvazo for about 2 years. I was in his AVID elective class and in his AP English language and AP Literature class. Mr. Villalvazo not only taught but he also gave us important lectures about life and always expect the unexpected. His teaching methods were ordinary and unique however worked perfectly. I learned so much for him educational wise and life wise. Every student that seemed help Mr. V was always there to support them and their choices. I am not surprised at all that he got the teacher of the year award because of the fact that he takes his job seriously and does exactly what teachers are supposed to do, teach about school and teach about the hardships of life and to keep our head straight no matter how difficult the obstacle might be. I will miss him very much.
    Frank Serpas,
    Grade: 12 , Track A
    FOR HOURS

[Reply]

6. Enzo Vasquez on June 26th, 2017 11:27 am

I never knew him Mr. Villalvazo. I never had him for a class. But he sounds like a great teacher, he was teaching for a very long time. Im glad that he earned that award of City of Bell Teacher award he deserved he had been teaching for 32 years, thats a very long time. It really made me think how much he really loved his job, i wish i had him for a class.

Enzo Vasquez
    12/C
    Detention hours

[Reply]

7. EMILIO MERA on June 26th, 2017 12:11 pm

He deserved it. One of the best teachers here .
    For hours

[Reply]

8. Rosa Paola Gonzalez on June 26th, 2017 1:47 pm

unfortunately the teacher i spend my last year with is bell high for good and it was heart breaking after getting the news. Mr. Villalvazo is an amazing teacher who will be missed by many of his students. However, he’s a humble and strict teacher who i know for sure he did great throughout his 32 years of teaching. I will never forget the class assignments and the great things he taught me. -Rosa P Gonzalez 12A, Detention hours

[Reply]

9. Heriberto Lopez on June 26th, 2017 2:04 pm

It’s nice to know that we have people here in bell that are such great teachers. It makes me feel proud of my school and the teachers which make it so great. Now that i am leaving, i feel like i have passed through a process that will help my future in a great school.

Heriberto lopez
    Track: M… Grade: 12
    Detention hours

[Reply]

10. Jesus Delgado Mr. Jansen on June 26th, 2017 5:41 pm

I honestly don’t know this teacher. I never had him for any class. I sure never even heard of the guy. After reading this I can say that he deserved it. At Bell not all teachers are welcoming therefore making this teacher stand out. To be picked and chosen by students at Bell reflects on how much this teacher has impacted the students not only scholarly wise but also friend wise. Though I don’t know much of the teaching profession I know that in order to be on the students good side there is a huge need of respect in between. By being chosen by his students also shows how much respect he had for his students and vice versa. You can tell students admire and certainly look up to this teacher by rewarding his good work and years of skills with the City of Bell Teacher Award which is handed out yearly.

[Reply]

11. Susana Hernández on June 26th, 2017 9:12 pm

By reading this article I noticed how teachers can become a students friend. The fact that teachers are good at teaching and at getting along with the students makes them one of a kind. Not only that, but you get students to appreciate you as a teacher. I experienced the same thing haveing a teacher I really liked and when he moved out from my school in middle school I told him I was gonna miss him. It’s good that this teacher mr. villalvazo is recognized for his effort throught out those 32 years. Not everyone can accomplish this and be happy of his work.

[Reply]

Susana Hernández Reply:

^^^
    Susana Hernandez
    12C
    08/29/99
    Detención hours

[Reply]

12. Andres velagay on September 12th, 2017 10:46 am

This makes me happy for him #livelife #onGOD

[Reply]

13. Andres velagay on September 12th, 2017 10:46 am

This makes me happy for him #livelife #onGOD 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Ending with a Win

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Ending with a Win

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Ending with a Win

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Ending with a Win

News

Trash or Cash

• Ending with a Win

News

Sports Dilemma

• Ending with a Win

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Ending with a Win

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Ending with a Win

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

• Ending with a Win

News

Academic Decathlon Shines

Ending with a Win