The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

Composting = Conservation

Amy Cervantes

Amy Cervantes

Amy Cervantes, Editor-in-Chief

Food waste, a large emitter of greenhouse gases, can be reduced through composting. Composting, however, is not a viable option for Bell High School.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, if food waste were a country, it would be the third largest emitter of greenhouse gases globally. Food waste produces 6.7% of global greenhouse gas emissions, and it is the largest article of wastage in American landfills.

Composting can help. According to the Guardian, 50% of all produce is thrown away in the United States. Although composting sits at second to last on the EPA’s Food Recovery Hierarchy, it helps in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

Composting is utilizing decomposing materials, like leaves and food waste, to produce a rich soil. However, compost needs to be under a regulated environment to be converted into anything more than a heap of food wastage. In many cases, this means using a composter.

Bell High School had owned a composter, but it was stolen over Christmas break. Ms. Young, who had used the composter to create fertile soil in her landscaping class, says that an expanding garden would require the use of a composter. “I got really set back when they stole that,” Young states.

Although chocolate milk has greatly reduced the amount of milk wasted at Bell, as Assistant Principal Santiago affirmed, it is federal policy that every student must take 3 to 5 lunch items, making some students take a lunch plate to eat one item and throw the rest out. While composting is a step Bell High School has taken in the past, a composter is “currently tough to buy,” Santiago states.

To ensure that a composter is purchased by Bell High School in the future, Santiago says the only thing the school would need is money. The money spent on a composter is to come from department funds, something Bell High School currently lacks.

33 Comments

33 Responses to “Composting = Conservation”

1. Juan Jose Hernandez on June 21st, 2017 4:03 pm

In my opinion bell high school should get another composter so they could make bell high students not to throw away food or waist food and could also help out all the food that the students grow away and for bell high school to buy another composter they should save money or make a fund raiser or sell items like candy or chocolates
    Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen

[Reply]

Amy Cervantes Reply:

I think so too! It would be great if students made a joint effort to expand the garden and have greater space to compost while lowering our greenhouse gas emissions.

[Reply]

2. Juan Jose Hernandez on June 21st, 2017 4:05 pm

In my opinion bell high school should get another composter so they could make bell high students not to throw away food or waist food and could also help out all the food that the students trow away and for bell high school to buy another composter they should save money or make a fund raiser or sell items like candy or chocolates
    Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen

[Reply]

3. Karla Acevedo on June 21st, 2017 11:47 pm

It’s sad to know that 50% of produce in the United States is wasted, while there are so many homeless and poor individuals out there in need of food. Bell High School should definitely look into composting since so many students throw away lunch food everyday.

[Reply]

Karla Acevedo Reply:

Karla Acevedo
    Track:Magnet
    For detention hours

[Reply]

Amy Cervantes Reply:

Definitely. While I was talking to Santiago, he mentioned that it is difficult to organize people to donate left over food. It would be great if Bell could set up a program to donated to those in need.

[Reply]

4. Esau Ordaz on June 22nd, 2017 12:35 pm

Im not in any AP classes and i have some trouble, i can only imagine the struggle. Anything fo a better future.

Esau Ordaz
    Grade:12
    Track:A
    For Hours

[Reply]

5. viviana quezada on June 22nd, 2017 1:33 pm

It is saddening to hear that the composter was stolen and unfortunately California is not like Kentucky, where they would use bathrooms to decompose. After using the restroom, they would throw leaves and scraps of food to decompose. – Viviana Quezada Magnet
    For hours

[Reply]

Amy Cervantes Reply:

That is interesting to hear! I would not particularly enjoy a system such as that one, but frankly, right now any systematic effort to compost sounds grand. Considering the current state of politics, however, reducing food waste through a set system sounds like a far-off dream.

[Reply]

6. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 6:14 pm

its so crazy how much food goes to waste! We should definitely try to reduce that amount. Its really sad how they stole the composer, its such a useful machine ! Some people will just take things and not know what the outcome could be. It’s such and efficient way to give back to the planet without harming it.

Bianca solano (12/M)
    detention hours

[Reply]

7. Ashley Desiderio on June 22nd, 2017 7:18 pm

Take a look at our earth, I say it needs help conserving items and not producing so much so at the end of the day it all goes to waste. I disagree with the fact that each student should receive 5 items for lunch for as we know most of the students only pick out the goodies while the rest of the plate goes to waste. It is a devastating manner that our composter got stolen, it saddens me to know that there are cruel people who don’t think of the good of others. I look forward to the day in where Bell High School can hopefully receive another composter not only to help Bell High School but our earth as well,
    Ashley Desiderio
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

Jesus Delgado 12/B Mr. Janssen Reply:

I can agree and add on to this. it is saddening knowing someone stole this device from Bell. I honestly don’t see a purpose behind such act and for what use? if it makes the school worse instead of helping it. Not saying its bad but i know we can make it a better place to be in. If people complain about Bell i honestly don’t know why they’re making it bad in the first place. It would be good if we all work together and start by trying to make this place a better Earth. By hurting it and treating it how we do not just affects the environment but ourselves as well. Adding on to the lunch topic, it is also sad to see people throw almost the entire lunch away. Just because its given to us without purchase, doesn’t give us the right to go ahead and devalue it.

[Reply]

8. Carmen Mendoza on June 22nd, 2017 8:58 pm

I believe Bell High School should raise money selling school necessary items, to buy a new composter. To save food and money spent on all the food that is thrown away. For example somewhere in the world there’s child hunger going on and students here throwing the food away someone else wishes to have. So therefore, the district like other schools should get together to donate all food/milk to necessary children instead of being thrown to the trash. And that way the food would be used for a good reason.

[Reply]

Carmen Mendoza Reply:

grade 12 track c detention hours

[Reply]

9. Anthony Fregoso (12/B) on June 22nd, 2017 9:07 pm

As 50% of produce is thrown away it is sad since we can use that produce to a better use. By composting we can get rich soil to grow more foods and have different varieties. Also instead of throwing away the food that is not eaten why not take it to homeless shelter and give it to the people that need it the most.

Detention Hours

[Reply]

10. Jeselle Brijlall on June 22nd, 2017 9:50 pm

Purchasing a composter would be a great investment. The amount of food wasted at school is ridiculous. It should not just be thrown away, but disposed of properly to reduce the amount of green house gasses created. A great addition to Bell would be a program that distributes the unused food to the homeless or even to centers that give the food to families in need. Many great things are yet to come from Bell.

Jeselle Brijlall
    Track: A Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen
    detention hours

[Reply]

11. Kristen catano on June 23rd, 2017 8:28 am

It is heartbreaking to know that bells composter was stolen recently. After reading this article, I am more appreciative of all the food we receive. It is a shame we throw 50% of it in the trash but now that I know this, I will not throw away unwanted food because there are homeless people out there that would love the food. I think the school should save money in a composter to help the environment. We need to think about our future and a composter would be a great help.
    Detention hours
    12th grade A track
    December 27,1998

[Reply]

Kristen catano Reply:

Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

12. Jerry Monroy on June 23rd, 2017 10:12 am

In my opinion, the composter is greatly needed . Food being thrown away by the hundreds MAYBE THOUSANDS , is a huge NO NO . We are or atleast should be grateful that it is free but there are countries that would trade anything to have the amount of food we just anti up and throw away .

[Reply]

Jerry Monroy Reply:

Jerry Monroy
    Track: B Grade: 12

[Reply]

13. Colibri Rodriguez on June 23rd, 2017 10:34 am

It is very devastating how so much food is being wasted at bell when there are so many people beyond the walls of bell high school are starving. Its such a good idea how our school is trying to better itself. A composter is something worth the investment as it will not only benefit us but also will be a great way to educate future generations coming on how everything (left overs, waste) can be used for something productive to & not only are we help our school but Mother Nature too.
    Colibri Rodriguez
    Grade 12 ,Track B
    Mr. Janssen
    For detention hours

[Reply]

14. Christian Nery on June 23rd, 2017 10:39 am

Composting is a great idea to use in the school because most of the food given to students is thrown away. Knowing that there is a compost that is used in the school even if stolen should’ve be used in the past, although it is a lot of work to have to go through trash bags to get all the products that can be used for compost. Even if now there isn’t a compost in the school anymore, there should still be many bins that are specifically for compost, the amount of trash cans there is in the school, the same amount should be available but for compost.
    Christian Nery (6/29/99)
    12/B
    For hours

[Reply]

15. Samantha carlos on June 23rd, 2017 10:57 am

Bell high school should have students to fundraise so with the money the gather up with the fundraising the school can get a composer so that all the food that is being thrown away can be used for something helpful.As my experience in seeing all people throw away their food I would suggest for the school to collect the food student won’t eat before it’s thrown away.

[Reply]

16. Fabian Mendez on June 23rd, 2017 11:19 am

In my opinion a composter is a great idea to get rid of junk and turn it into useful soil for the plant in the landscaping class. It is also sad that Ms. Young’s composter was stolen who really needs a composter other than a landscaping teacher that grows beautiful plants everyday.
    For hours.

[Reply]

17. Rosa gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:23 am

In my opinion, since the school doesn’t have money there should be more fundraising to raise money for a composters. Food waste is a smart choice and healthy for our environment. It can help our plants and trees grow much healthier and strong. Therefore, instead of wasting money on fertile soil the composters should be hidden so it won’t be stolen. -Rosa P Gonzalez 12A , For hours

[Reply]

18. Evelyn Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:24 am

Bell needs more helpful people like this that cares about the environment. We should always think green and be clean not just at our school but outside as well. If we start here to make a change at school and even out of school, our environment would be nicer and cleaner. If we can make a change here just with a few students imagine what we can do in the future. With the other 50% we can make a better change little by little with the action we will start doing.

Evelyn Gonzalez 12A
    For hours.

[Reply]

19. Maexi razo on June 23rd, 2017 2:12 pm

After reading this article I have come to realize that this generation is not educated on the situation we are in. It is astonishing that 50% of the produce in the United States goes to waste. The fact that the students here at Bell High School are wasting food the food is sad considering that some of the students that attend this school may struggle with economic problems that don’t allow them to eat properly. Bell is apart of the problem and therefore I think we should contribute by going green and helping those around us.

[Reply]

20. Beberli Rodriguez on June 26th, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks to the senior magnet projects Bell High School will no have to buy a composter and spend money on that since I was part of the group that made the senior project base on composting.We were donated a barrel and we built a composter .At the end we donated to Mrs.Young so that she can use it and get benefits from it.Composting a great thing to incorporate in landscape class so that students can learn how to contribute to the environment.
    Beberli Rodriguez 12M
    For Hours.

[Reply]

21. Uriel Carmona on June 26th, 2017 10:43 am

I believe that composting is really helpful for our environment. I think more of these should be scattered around ours school. Having these around the school will high eliminate the lazyness of the students when it comes on throwing away their trash. This natural invention will highly influence the students of our school.

[Reply]

22. David A Herrera on June 26th, 2017 11:17 am

Composting, as spoken in the article is a critical factor not only to bettering the environment , but to reduce food waste. Although we don’t have a composter, if we thoroughly research the topic, we would know that with a couple of materials, you can make a small composter. While usually home made composters are not large, they can prove to be useful while we acquire the funds to obtain a larger one for greater amounts of waste. We can get funds by fundraising or asking for donations. We can also note that by building a composter, we can involve students to be more interactive in their community.
    David A Herrera 12/C
    Jackson for hours

[Reply]

23. Damien Ulloa on June 26th, 2017 11:22 am

After reading this article, i do believe that we, students at bell, should help make this school , environment, and earth a better place. Its sad to know that about 50% of produce is thrown away and left to rot at the nearest dump site. If we were to take action and make kids compost their unwanted or leftover food, we would greatly improve our school quality aswell. I also believe that requiring kids to get 3-5 lunch items is letting this problem escalate even further. If you let kids get only the food items they wanted, less food would be thrown away and the less we contribute to the emissions of greenhouse gases. Overall however, i do believe bell high school should invest in a compost machine to get the program going.

Damien Ulloa 12/M
    For detention hours

[Reply]

24. Enzo Vasquez on June 26th, 2017 11:43 am

After reading this article, it realky made me think on how much food we actually do waste. Its crazy how 50% of the food that is produced is thrown away. Thats crazy, thats alot of food and thats not good due to the fact thats how greenhouse gasses are made. The world needs more people like the students at bell because it woukd really change the world even if it means the smallest channge.

Enzo Vasquez
    12/c
    Detention hours

[Reply]

25. Susana Hernández on June 26th, 2017 9:33 pm

I think it is bad that in bell high they throw the food to waist when there is many other kids wishing they even had food to eat. Bell high school should make the kids do a fundraiser to buy another composer to make bell good again. Because imagine all the food thrown away everyday of 5 days a week that’s a lot with all that food thrown away they just make bel look bad. Students should think twice before throwing the food to waist.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Composting = Conservation

News

Ending with a Win

• Composting = Conservation

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Composting = Conservation

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Composting = Conservation

News

Trash or Cash

• Composting = Conservation

News

Sports Dilemma

• Composting = Conservation

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Composting = Conservation

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Composting = Conservation

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

• Composting = Conservation

News

Academic Decathlon Shines

Composting = Conservation