The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

Trash or Cash

One person's trash might be another person's treasure

Jacob Otero, News Editor

A recycling program was kicked off by the Social Activism Club mid April at Bell High School.

The idea, coined by Magnet Seniors Daisy Flores and Ashley Herrera, is to place recycling bins in every classroom on campus, encouraging everybody at school to participate in recycling.

“We were tired of people throwing bottles in the trash can,” Ashley said, “If there is no way for people to recycle, they’re not going to.”

Currently, all Magnet homerooms have boxes for recycled materials, which are periodically collected every other week by the Social Activism club.

By recycling bottles and cans, the Social Activism club raised money to buy a recycling bin. Their goal is to have a bin in each classroom within the upcoming years.

The recyclables are taken to a local center, and the money collected is used for more bins and donated to the American Diabetes Association.

The program is susceptible to ending next year. The Social Activism club is comprised of only Seniors so far, and with no members in the club next year, no one will be able to support the recycling program anymore. “We haven’t organized the club as much,” Daisy said, being a reason why there are no current members from other grades attending the club.

45 Comments

45 Responses to “Trash or Cash”

1. Juan Jose hernandez on June 20th, 2017 9:25 pm

Well my opinion to this is they should have recycle bins in each classroom in my opinion it will make the kids at bell high school learn to recycle their plastic bottles. It will also make it much easier for them instead of going far away to find a bin.And teach them how to recycle even dought there not at school.

Juan Jose Hernandez
    Track:A. Grade:12
    Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

2. Alan Juarez on June 21st, 2017 9:14 am

I believe this club should continue on not only does it raise money but also helps around in the environment. More kids should join from other tracks not just magnet and if it is possible to bring that program back it would be great and I would consider joining myself. For Hours

[Reply]

Alan Juarez Reply:

Track B

[Reply]

3. Karla Acevedo on June 21st, 2017 7:44 pm

The goal of having a recycling bin in every classroom is a really good idea. Having recycling bins around the school can be a really good benefit towards to environment, and the American Diabetes Association. Personally, I have also thrown bottles in the trash can because there were no recycling bins around. They should promote the club more so people can join next year.

Karla Acevedo
    Track: Magnet
    For detention hours

[Reply]

4. Alondra Ortiz 12/C Mr. Janssen on June 21st, 2017 8:17 pm

I believe this is such a great cause for the American Diabetes Association. Not only is it a good cause for them, but it’s also a good cause for our school and the planet. It helps maintain the campus clean. It’s a win win situation! I also believe that every class room and grade should participate. Each classroom should have a recycling bin. Nevertheless,, we should have recycling bins throughout the campus.

[Reply]

5. Paulina Gabriela Ramirez on June 22nd, 2017 12:19 am

I believe that every classroom in Bell high should require some type of recycling bin with the Activism club. The reason why I say this is because everyone in bell high should learn to care more about our environment. By caring and learning this will not only help our environment but help The American Diabetes Association.

Grade:12/A
    Mr. Jansen

[Reply]

6. Oscar Roman on June 22nd, 2017 10:01 am

The Social Activism Club had a great idea in placing recycle bins in every classroom so the students that have water bottles or can soda can recycle there bottles or cans, instead of throwing it to the trash can. Now and days students are not aware of recycling and keeping the campus clean, I recommend instead of placing the recycle bins in the classroom they should also be located on campus. The social activism club should also promote there club and have events that promote recycling and maintain Bell High School clean

Oscar Roman
    12/A
    Mr.Janssen

[Reply]

7. Yasmin Lopez(12/29/98) on June 22nd, 2017 10:44 am

I think this is a great idea. It is true and I have witnessed people throwing away bottles in the trash can. Usually if the bottles are lying on top of the trash i’ll grab it and take it out to throw it in the proper waste bin. It’s really cool that each classroom is getting their own recycling bin. Also I think it’s great that the money that is collected is going towards something good. I feel like not only magnet kids should get involved but also other students from different tracks. I everyone joins in on this plan then not only will it help better the school but the money is going towards a good cause.

For hours.

[Reply]

8. Rigoberto Nieves on June 22nd, 2017 11:54 am

In my opinion Recycling is a very important thing to do for our planet and we have to keep our planet clean and healthy. I always see people throw bottles in trash cans and sometimes i even see people just dump bottles anywhere and that really hurts our planet and there has to be a change and that is what bell high school wants to do by putting recycling bins in every homeroom. Another good thing that this club does is raise money for a good cause and help out the American Diabetes Association.

Rigoberto Nieves
    Track:C Grade:12
    Mr.Janssen for hours

[Reply]

9. Esau Ordaz on June 22nd, 2017 12:17 pm

The trade, trash for cash is a great idea, not only because it gives students a chance to raise money, but it helps to clean the earth.

Esau Ordaz
    Track:A Grade:12
    For Hours

[Reply]

10. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 7:00 pm

I think this idea is genius idea! People should learn how to be more appreciative to our planet. If people don’t want to be carrying around an empty bottle, the trash can should not be an option. The school has barely started putting recycling bins around, and i they were there before they weren’t put in obvious places.

Bianca Solano (12/M)
    for detention hours

[Reply]

11. Lizbeth Iribe on June 22nd, 2017 7:28 pm

The Social Activism club seems like a very smart idea. We see kids everyday either throw their bottles in the trash cans or on the floor and it’s not fair to the people who end up cleaning it up. I think this idea shows how this generation is improving and is good for the enviorment and the school as well. I want our campus to remain clean. The social activism club seems like something I would be interested in and it’s something Bell High School should be proud of.
    Mr.Jansen
    12B

[Reply]

12. Ashley Desiderio on June 22nd, 2017 7:43 pm

I am amazed on how such young minds think so grown up. I agree with what their goal is, and it is true that if we don’t make a move on something we want no one else will. Although I think that they should have a recycling bin in every classroom and even throughout the Bell High Campus. I have been a witness to seeing many bottles spread throughout the Bell Campus and it truly is devastating seeing that the kids don’t care about or earth. I think that if recycling bins would be advertised more and in visual clear places more kids would participate in recycling.
    Ashley Desiderio
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

13. Jeselle Brijlall on June 22nd, 2017 9:04 pm

Recycling is a very important factor around the world. Any little change makes a huge difference in the long run. Slowly but surely kids at Bell will be influenced by others to start recycling, hopefully then starting a chain reaction. It’s sad seeing bottles and cans thrown in the trash cans and streets around school when theres not only a proper way to dispose of them but a small currency that each can/bottle contains that no one else will give to you.

Jeselle Brijlall
    Track: A Grade:12
    detention hours

[Reply]

14. Carmen Mendoza on June 22nd, 2017 9:45 pm

My opinion is that recycling plastic cans/bottles is a very great idea to raise money and be used for a good cause. Everyday at school there’s students, athletes, teachers, staff, etc with a water bottle, gatorade bottle or anything that reveals plastic or aluminum. That can get thrown in the recycling bins instead of in the trash. When there can be money made out of this. Bell High School should continue organizing their recycling club and join any grade students to participate.

Grade 12 Track C detention hours

[Reply]

15. Nancy Robles on June 22nd, 2017 10:43 pm

In my opinion I believe that recycling is important to our environment. I think this idea is great because I have seen a lot of students throw a bottle anywhere. The idea of all classes getting a recycle bin is great because it helps to clean the school and the earth, but also the money being raised goes for a good cause.
    Nancy Robles
    Grade/Track: 12/A
    Mr.Jansen

[Reply]

16. Angel Hernandez on June 22nd, 2017 10:50 pm

Great idea! Many times I have seen people just throw away bottles in the trash or even worse on the floor. When I see them on the floor I tend to pick them up at take them home to recycle myself. I think it’s a fantastic idea to have a recycling bin in every room on campus. I feel we should also include one for paper because as a school we go through ample amounts of paper that can be used again if put in a bin that way we don’t waste so much paper. The fact that profits will be made from collecting bottles is great because that money can be used towards many helpful things for the school which is what bell high needs. However I do feel that all tracks should become involved so that profit increases. Not only will it be better for the environment but as well for the school .
    Detention hours
    Angel Hernandez
    12/A

[Reply]

17. Roberto Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 12:27 am

I really enjoy this idea of a recycling bin in every class because it’s beneficial to everyone. All the money collected from the bottles is going to be used to buy more recycling bins that’s a great idea and sends a postive message. We can’t let this club die out, I strongly encourage anyone to join and be part of the change. It can’t be done alone lets help the community and make a difference.

Roberto Gonzalez
    Grade/Track: 12B
    For hours
    Mr. Janssen

[Reply]

18. Marvin Chavez on June 23rd, 2017 1:05 am

The effort that these seniors have put into pushing for recycling bins is inmense. They truly are passionate and in good reason, Bell needs a seperation between waste and reusable materials. Students, teachers, administrators, and everyone else encompassing the campus are crippling our environment with improper waste disposal, and a push should be made to promote this project. I 110% support this idea and so should students that will continue to roam the school after these seniors have graduated to allow this environmental safety measure to continue.

Marvin Chavez
    Track: M Grade: 12
    Mr. Janssen for detention hours

[Reply]

19. Cassandra Mendez on June 23rd, 2017 8:18 am

I think this club can benefit everyone; the environment, teaching others to be green, and it even keeps school campus clean. Most student throw away bottles into the trash rather than recycling because there’s no other option, this program should spread beyond magnet classrooms and there should be recycling bins in all classes and all over campus. This club is overall a great idea and should be brought back for the following years.
    Cassandra Mendez
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

20. Madeline Flores on June 23rd, 2017 8:51 am

This club should continue. It helps keep bell high school cleaner and helps recycle as we should. Instead of it just being magnet involved in this club they should let other tracks know about this to help out and keep the club going. Not recycling hurts the planet , our environment and ourselves. There should be bins put in every class and even outside like in the lunch area so students can throw their recycle in there. This is for a good cause .
    Track C
    Grade 12
    Detention hours

[Reply]

21. Debbie Vasquez 12/A Mr. Janssen on June 23, 2017 8:38am on June 23rd, 2017 8:51 am

I believe it’s a great idea to have recycle bins because I personally see bottles everywhere in the classrooms and outside on the the floor so it will not only keep the classrooms and campus cleaner but it helps earn more money for a good cause. In my opinion It would also make it easier if there are recycling bins around the campus so people won’t just throw it on the floor.

Debbie Vasquez
    Track A Grade:12
    Mr. Janssen
    For hours

[Reply]

22. Alisson Hernandez on June 23rd, 2017 9:09 am

Lets Spread the Word!!! The idea of implementing recycling bins around campus is inspiring. Students like Daisy and Ashley should be immensely appreciated for taking initiative and changing the world one step at a time. There should definitely be recruitment for underclassmen because I’d be devastated to see a club like the social activism club go because of the lack of recruitment. Im almost positively sure that there are environmental students out there yearning to join a club like the Social Activism Club!

Alisson Hernandez
    Track: M Grade: 12
    Detention Hours
    Mr.Jansen

[Reply]

23. Kristen catano on June 23rd, 2017 9:15 am

While reading this article I can say that I am very disappointed that the program will not be able to continue. I believe that it is a great idea to be putting recyclable bins in each classrooms. It is showing the student that it is important to take care of our planet and show them responsibility. I say that they should continue the program by at least putting it with leadership so it can still go on.
    Kristen catano
    Grade: 12
    Track: A
    Detention hours

[Reply]

24. Thalia Funes on June 23rd, 2017 9:43 am

Recycling is very important. It is necessary to recycle because that way we produce less plastic that can intoxicate our environment and also the ocean. People who throw away plastic are ignorant because recycling plastic is not hard since it is an easy way to help our environment be more clean. I, myself recycle plastic at home and even sometimes collect from other areas if i get the chance. I have raised a lot of money from it. I will always recycle because not only does it benefit me but it also benefits our environment. I think the Social Activism club has really done a well job. I have seen the recycling bins inside many of my classrooms as well as recycling bins on campus near the cafeteria.

Thalia Funes
    Track C
    Grade 12
    For detention hours

[Reply]

25. Andy Garcia Morales on June 23rd, 2017 9:50 am

What i think is that the school should had have recycling since the beginning. But it is a good idea the kids have i personally have been complaining about no recycling since i enter this school. But i am happy that people are taking responsibility to help this plant. I hope more kids from other grades join because if they dont the club will stop and it will go back to our old ways.

Andy Garcai Morales
    Track: M 12
    For hours

[Reply]

26. Christian Nery on June 23rd, 2017 9:55 am

The idea is great having trash bins but the group should’ve promoted their club so more people can join. Even if the idea was for magnet and their classrooms, others no matter the grade or track should be able to join so there would be more funding of cans and bottles to be used in promoting care for the environment. The idea is great the money raised from the recycling demonstrates student how they can raise money from things people don’t need anymore.
    Christian Nery (6/29/99)
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

27. Jesus Valles on June 23rd, 2017 9:59 am

Not only does this help the environment it also helps the school look cleaner. And nobody likes having a dirty school it just makes the teachers and students look bad. I think they should have recycling bins in every class that way they wont be throwing bottles in trash cans. I think the next generation of seniors should continue to support this project because it can benefit everyone.

Jesus Valles
    Track B , Grade 12
    For Hours

[Reply]

28. Alexandra Cruz 12/A Mr. Janssen on June 23, 2017 8:38am on June 23rd, 2017 10:03 am

It’s a really good idea for the school to have recycling bins because they can help the community be more clean but also by helping the environment. The recycling bins can also help the school raise a bit of more money. It shows that bell high school can help the community out by going green.it is a really good idea having recycling bins at bell high school

[Reply]

29. Anthony Fregoso on June 23rd, 2017 10:05 am

In my opinion i believe by putting recycling bins is all classrooms will help improve the amount of bottles and or cans recycled on school grounds. By recycling we can keep our earth clean and help out our planet. If we incorporate recycling bins in each and every classroom i believe that it will also keep our campus much cleaner. The recyclables are taken to a local center and with all the money they collect is given to The American Diabetes Association. The more people involved in this the better , it is not hard or time consuming to help out the planet and school by recycling and keeping everything in a cleaner and stable environment.

Detention Hours

[Reply]

30. sheilee Vega 12C Mr.Jansen on June 23rd, 2017 10:13 am

To reflect, what our bell students are doing is only for a good cause. Reduce, reuse and recycle helps our community in many ways. Recycling can help Bell Eagals raise money and clean our community from disposed bottles etc . Bell High School should always keep this program and expand it for every single student to understand what good cause the recycling program does for us.

[Reply]

31. Nathalie Cruz Track B on June 23rd, 2017 10:18 am

I truly believe that recycling should be taken seriously not only in school but also in all of our surroundings. This club is doing a great job on showing everyone the benefits of recycling. Not only will this help our school become a better an outstanding academy but also teach the students the positive things on recycling. As i walk around the school i noticed that recycling bins are all around us. This will help maintain the campus cleaner. With the whole recycling process the school will now have money. Overall my 4 years of high school i noticed the grew cleaner due to the expansion of recycling bins. i truly believe this is a true achievement for the school and its appearance.

For hours

[Reply]

32. Shayna Lopez on June 23rd, 2017 10:19 am

I think students coming together to try and make a better enviroment for our school is so great. I hope they are able to recruit more students so that this club will be able to continue for years to come.
    Shayna Lopez (12/A)
    For hours

[Reply]

33. Jerry Monroy on June 23rd, 2017 10:36 am

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. This is a great article , if you don’t recycle already , you should ! Not only does it help the environment and the world , there’s a bit of a present for yourself ! You can take your recycled items to a recycling spot and get money back for however much it weighted out to . I recycle myself and I don’t see any harm in it at all.

[Reply]

34. Colibri Rodriguez on June 23rd, 2017 10:46 am

In my opinion all classrooms in bell should have a recycling bin or box. Due to the lack of bins in school many students prefer to throw them in trash cans. Recycling can be very beneficial for our school. Can you imagine how many waters, gatorades,l and juices the student store sells & all of what is sold is plastic. All this plastic can be saved, sold & with the money obtained the school can purchase anything that is needed or has to be replaced but hasn’t due to insufficient funds.
    Colibri Rodriguez
    Grade 12, Track B
    Mr. Janssen
    Detention hours

[Reply]

35. Jessica sanchez 12/A hours on June 23rd, 2017 10:50 am

In my opinion something Bell High School should realy work on is making sure that recycling is a priority. How can it be possible that being tardy is more important than keeping our Earth healthy. Each classroom should have a plan on how theyre gonna do there part in recycling and making sure there future kids have a good future thanks to our hard work.

[Reply]

36. Yahir Coraza on June 23rd, 2017 10:53 am

This eco friendly idea is good and everyone knows the imprortance of recycling so placing bins would be the direct approach instead of the trash can

[Reply]

37. Samantha carlos on June 23rd, 2017 11:11 am

In my point of view I see this club as a good help in the environment and not only in the environment but it’s a good way to start off in having our school clean and also a good way to go get money for many other thing our school will need. This club will be a success if many other student join it. It’s a good idea in also donating most of the money to the American diabetes association.
    12/A

[Reply]

38. Damien Ulloa on June 23rd, 2017 11:19 am

I believe the social activism club is doing an outstanding job in trying to encourage kids at Bell High School to recycle. Not only are we making the world a better place by disposing of recyclables the right way, we are helping out the American Diabetes Association. More kids should be recruited into the club however, because I know this club could make more changes in the future. Overall, i think all of bell high school should part take in this recycling program.

[Reply]

39. Alexandr Cruz 12A Mr. Jansen detention hours on June 23rd, 2017 11:23 am

I think it’s a really good idea having recycling bins all over the school because it helps the school and the community become more clean and green. All classes should haves a plan on how they can help the community be more clean and helping the school be more helpful to the community. It’s a great idea having the recycling bins around the school because less because people will not throw away recyclable products anymore. It’s a great idea having the recycling bins helping out the community as well can be a huge step . We should have more bins around the school it helps the school out a lot.

[Reply]

40. Jerry Monroy on June 23rd, 2017 11:27 am

I think that this is a good article because it shows us how we can turn trash into cash. For example, recycling! It’s a great way to get a little cash by turning in old bottles!
    (For hours)

[Reply]

41. Fabian Mendez on June 23rd, 2017 11:29 am

The recycling bin is a good idea for all classes to have one, also the money is going to a good cause so that is another benefit. It’s kinda sad that there are no other students that wanna join the club because it is a great idea and a great cause.
    For hours

[Reply]

42. Richard Calderon on June 23rd, 2017 11:32 am

In my opinion I believe that this program will help everyone else. Everyone has bottles and cans so just we have the supplies all we need to to start it off. By adding bins to every classroom we help everyone, the planet,the school, and the future students.

[Reply]

43. Evelyn Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:34 am

This is a great idea and club for students and the environment. It can make money for school but also a great messaged to everyone. It keeps School and the earth clean always thinking green is great! The school should send out more positive actions and messages like this . Classes should continue to have recycle trash cans and keep passing on a positive messaged and actions.
    Evelyn Gonzalez 12/A
    For hours

[Reply]

44. paola manjarrez on June 23rd, 2017 11:58 am

I think its important for people to recycle and keep the earth clean. I think this club should continue it would bring great awareness show people they should recycle and keep there school clean. I see in our classrooms that have boxes for recycle to have students recyle and ive still witneses students throught it in the trash instead of recycleling. I see bell high school trying there best to keep the school clean and recycle but students need to put in effort aswell. help the school and earth stay clean.
    PAOLA MANJARREZ
    mr.jansen
    track A 12

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Trash or Cash

News

Ending with a Win

• Trash or Cash

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• Trash or Cash

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• Trash or Cash

News

AP: Always Pressured

• Trash or Cash

News

Sports Dilemma

• Trash or Cash

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• Trash or Cash

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• Trash or Cash

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

• Trash or Cash

News

Academic Decathlon Shines

Trash or Cash