The student news site of Bell High School

The Bell Chimes

LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

English teacher Ms. Wilson poses with some happy grads from 2105.  This year, LAUSD will pay for caps and gowns again.

Courtesy of Ms. Wilson

English teacher Ms. Wilson poses with some happy grads from 2105. This year, LAUSD will pay for caps and gowns again.

Alyssa Lara, News Staff Writer

Caps and gowns are being paid for by LAUSD for the second year in a row.

In the past, certain teachers’ have paid for a few of the seniors’ caps and gowns because of money issues. When LAUSD rents out these graduation accessories, it helps those who may not be able to afford it.

The money seniors usually spend on the graduation attire can now go toward senior activities.

“We’re able to use that [money] to buy prom or grad nite tickets,” track B senior Angel Silva said.

“I could use the money for sports warm-ups. Sometimes senior activities cost too much money. Not having to pay for something can be a relief,” magnet senior Emily Martinez said. Now that LAUSD has taken it upon themselves to pay for the caps and gowns, seniors have one less thing to worry about this coming graduation.

22 Comments

22 Responses to “LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns”

1. Karla Acevedo on June 21st, 2017 11:59 pm

It is incredibly helpful that LAUSD decided to pay for the cap and gowns. So many students struggle enough with having to pay for senior activities and fees for college. Now, students can utilize that extra money for other necessities.
    Karla Acevedo
    Track: Magnet
    For detention hours

[Reply]

2. Yasmin Lopez(12/29/98) on June 22nd, 2017 10:52 am

I think it’s awesome what the district is doing. Some seniors have struggled when it comes to money and this what their doing is great. Majority or the students that attend Bell High School are low income and struggle when it comes to money. It is true that majority of the senior activities are expensive so by not paying for the cap and gown it gives us the seniors an opportunity to save money or just to use it towards senior activities.

For hours.
    Track A/12th grade

[Reply]

3. Shayna Lopez on June 22nd, 2017 11:30 am

There are many seniors whose families struggle to pay off all of their senior activities. Being able to get at least one payment out of the way could be a huge help. They could later use that money for something else they may need. In the end it is only used for the ceremony which is only a few hours and it is never used again. LAUSD is able to have those gowns available every year for those students who can not pay for it instead of students having to struggle to find someone to help them pay for their cap and gown every year.
    For detention hours
    Shayna Lopez (12/A)

[Reply]

4. Bianca Solano on June 22nd, 2017 4:22 pm

It is such a relieve for some students who have money problems. This is a very considerate gesture from lausd. Their are student that didn’t even get to go to any school events because of money issues. The money that the students saved from not buying the cap and gowns can be used for something more productive like investing into their future.

Bianca Solano (12/M)
    Detention hours

[Reply]

5. Ashley Desiderio on June 22nd, 2017 7:37 pm

It is astonishing on how LAUSD is being considerate and paying our caps and gowns I as a senior spent over 300 dollars on simply senior activities. Im glad that they are being generous enough to pay for these utilities and are being considerate that many families/students at times don’t have enough money to be spending. I am speaking as a senior at Bell High School and I couldn’t be thankful enough on what they are doing for us.
    Ashley Desiderio
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

6. Anthony Fregoso (12/B) on June 22nd, 2017 8:30 pm

For LAUSD to pay for the cap and gowns is very generous and in some relieve for kids who don’t have money to pay for it. Most of our senior activities had to be paid for and this year was really expensive with gradnite and prom costing over $100. Having the cap and gown paid for by LAUSD would make things easier for kids knowing they won’t have to pay another due out of their pockets.

Detention Hours

[Reply]

7. JoseMiguel Mayorquin on June 22nd, 2017 8:30 pm

I believe that what LAUSD is doing is a great help for many students. This is due to the issue that most students like myself have, coming from a low income family. Not having to pay for a cap and gown is really a great weight taken off ones shoulders. School events that every student would have liked to attend weren’t able to be a possible thing for a few students due to the lack of money. We students are very thankful for the action taken by LAUSD.

JoseMiguel Mayorquin

Detention Hours

[Reply]

8. Angel Hernandez on June 22nd, 2017 10:40 pm

I personally think it’s a very generous thing for the district to offer and pay for our cap and gowns. Towards the end of the year many payments come up and they only pile up. This is only one less thing to have to worry about. Especially because the majority of the students from bell come from a low income family and already have financial issues of their own at home. The fact that LAUSD is willing to pay for each and everyone’s cap and gowns is extremely thoughtful. Not to mention the fact we are allowed to keep the cap! Thank you on behalf of the senior class of 2017 we appreciate it very much!!
    Detention hours
    Angel Hernandez
    12/A

[Reply]

9. Lizette Urias on June 23rd, 2017 9:35 am

I think it’s amazing what LAUSD is doing for students like myself who couldn’t afford the gown for graduation. I spent so much money this year on other events so I’m grateful that the district is allowing us to rent it. I can spend the money I was going to waste on the gown for something else important.

Lizette Urias
    12B
    Detention hours

[Reply]

10. Carlos Cardenas on June 23rd, 2017 9:45 am

Its relieving for students and parents who struggle economically. We all know senior year is the most expensive year of our high school. Now that the lausd is helping out, it’s better for us because now we can participate in other senior activities. So thanks to LAUSD for the helping hand.

Carlos Cardenas 12/A
    For Hours/ Mr. Jassen

[Reply]

11. Thalia Funes on June 23rd, 2017 10:03 am

Wow, I did not know our school district pays for our caps and gowns. That is so kind of them because it is true that many people might have maybe not walked the stage because they could not afford it. Our school district has know made us walk the stage with no worries of paying. Thank you so much because I, myself am one of those people who will be walking the stage next week and I am so excited

Thalia Funes
    Grade 12
    Track C
    for detention hours

[Reply]

12. Oscar Roman on June 23rd, 2017 10:26 am

I think that LAUSD is helping out the students that work hard to make it a the Finish line by show their gradtitude by renting the caps and gowns for the high school graduates since as high school senior the senior actives really cost a lot and by knowing that the cap and gowns are covered than it a relief for students that are not able to purchase or didn’t even got to any of the senior activities.

Oscar Roman
    12/A
    For Hours

[Reply]

13. sheilee Vega 12C Mr.Jansen for hours on June 23rd, 2017 10:40 am

Its such a relief LAUSD is helping low income families. We should all have the opportunity of walking stage with our Caps and Gowns because of our achievement . Not having to also struggle paying for our cap and gowns after 4 years of work . We thank and acknowledge LAUSD for their helps . #Classof2017

[Reply]

14. Nathalie Cruz Track 12B on June 23rd, 2017 10:42 am

The truth is that LAUSD did help many students like myself who are ready to face the outside world but most of all, to witness college. It may not have been a ton of money but with the money I saved I was actually able to pay for my college orientation. i will never forget the kindness that Lausd has done for all graduating seniors and they should that we are filled with gratitude and appreciate what they have done for us.

For Hours

[Reply]

15. Christian Nery on June 23rd, 2017 10:50 am

This is a great benefit that LAUSD has offered to pay the cap and gowns for students. This gives students who can’t afford to buy certain things that are offered in school. This offer gives parents a relief from having to work more hours just so their son can get through high having the full experience of what it’s like to participate in all the schools activities. Even if for others is might not seem enough that the district pays for caps and gowns, for me, it’s better than nothing because even a little thing that helps a student relive from certain payments, it goes a long way.
    Christian Nery (6/29/99)
    12/B
    For Hours

[Reply]

16. Jessica Sanchez 12/A hours on June 23rd, 2017 11:35 am

I can’t thank LAUSD enough for what they did for us. Any other activity is different but this is graduation and what we have all been waiting for this memory will stay with all of us for lifetime. This gesture feels as if it is a thank you and a congratulations from our school and it is all we need to feel proud and want to do even more for society. Coming from a single parent house hold it is a relief to know this will be one less expense in senior year.

[Reply]

17. Alexandra Cruz 12A Mr. Jansen detention hours on June 23rd, 2017 11:38 am

I think it’s a really good idea for the LAUSD to buy our cap and gown. It’s a really good idea because many students in this community might fear and worry about them not being able to pay for the school activities which may be really expensive. Many students are already stressed on senior year as it is already and not being able to buy the cap and gown would be one more stressful thing to worry about. The LAUSD motivated us a bit by buying our cap and gown this year. One less expensive thing to worry about in this senior year.

[Reply]

18. paola manjarrez on June 23rd, 2017 11:40 am

I think it was very generous of LAUSD to rent out caps and gowns for seniors many students financial problems at home and activitys in general were expencieve enough it must be hard to keep track. it must be tough working hard for your education and not being able to attend most activities and graduation. having to also worry about what to wear and shoes. its great that lausd is making it a lot easier for students and there financial problems. it must bring great relief to most students one less issue to worry about and continue there education forward. most students feel stuck thinking they cant afford school and lausd is making it easier and we are grateful for it. parents already working hard for there childrens education are glad to know lausd makes it cheaper and easier.
    PAOLA MANJARREZ
    mr.jansen
    track A 12

[Reply]

19. Rosa Paola Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:41 am

Its unbelievable that LAUSD had payed the cap and gowns for the second year. I think its a really great idea for the district to help students economically. Money issues will be the most to struggle during senior year. Senior year year is expensive and im thankful for the district help our seniors out with getting our caps and gowns. I hope that throughout the next years the district keeps paying for the caps and gowns. – Rosa P Gonzalez 12A, Detention hours

[Reply]

20. Evelyn Gonzalez on June 23rd, 2017 11:56 am

It is very kind of the distric to take action and help out there students. Some students do not go to much school activities due to money. Not everyone works or have the chance to be involved into school activities because of money. For LAUSD to step up and buy things for us the students is very helpful and kind of them. It give out a great messaged as well to always help others.
    Evelyn Gonzalez 12A
    For hours

[Reply]

21. yahir coraza on June 23rd, 2017 11:58 am

i think this is a generous gesture from LAUSD because it helps us save money. it also is a relieve that we got one thing less to worry about. also after the senior activities some students may not have enough money left over
    mr. jannsen detention hours
    !2 A
    yahir coraza

[Reply]

22. Ashley Moreno 12/C Detention Hours on June 23rd, 2017 1:16 pm

I believe that is is such a great help because not everyone is financially stable. This will help many students who are graduating and cant afford to purchase a cap and gown. Now with this help student can save a little money from all the spending they did for senior year. I really do hope that LASUD continues to pay for the cap and gowns for the rest of senior who will be graduating next year. They should take into consideration how much they are helping student by doing this because money is tight and not always available.
    DETENTION HOURS

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

News

Ending with a Win

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

Showcase

A Passion for Wrestling

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

News

Composting = Conservation

• Showcase

Swim Photo Slideshow

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

News

AP: Always Pressured

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

News

Trash or Cash

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

News

Sports Dilemma

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

Opinion

Why Do News Sites Hate Millennials?

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

Opinion

Homeless But Not Hopeless

• LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns

Feature

A New Addition to the Disney Family

LAUSD Pays For Caps and Gowns